Wednesday, February 5, 2014

30 Days of "Beating Burnout"

I'm not one to normally air my grievances to the world. Really, I'm not.

I have my trusted circle that puts up with me when I'm feeling especially cranky or down.

Lately, I've been wondering if there's been more than that.

My name is Rachel, and I work at a church. Short of giving you all the major details, I am a teacher at a school run by a church.

And I'm tired.

So, so tired.

Tired enough to think that there might be something really wrong with me.

I spend a lot of time at work. Any teacher can tell you that in no way can we work from bell to bell. Personally, I arrive a reasonable amount of time before the students arrive, but I stay to work for hours after the students leave.

I attempt to take things home, but the papers usually stay in my bag since I'd rather spend time with my husband.

And in being a wife, being a teacher who's well organized, keeping up with paperwork, adequately performing all the other duties required of me... I have failed epically. I stress over it, I make myself sick with worry, I don't get enough sleep, and I don't keep myself healthy.

A few years ago, I read the book "Mad Church Disease: Overcoming the Burnout Epidemic." I've suggested it to people I've worked with. I've even lent my copy to people in hopes that it will have an impact. (Not sure if that person ever read the book or not.)

The author of the above book, Anne Marie Miller (formerly Anne Jackson), has a new 30-day devotional called "Beating Burnout," which I plan to read for the next 30 days. If you'd like, feel free to read her blog post that told the world about the book.

My goals for reading this are to renew my relationship with God, with whom I am (admittedly) not spending enough time. He needs to come first in my life, and unless that relationship is primary, all the other roles that I am Called to perform will suffer.

If you'd like to come on this journey with me, I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts on each devotion. Day One starts tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment