Sunday, February 9, 2014

Day One: Rest

Day One's devotion reminded us that God took a day to rest after his work of Creation. It is important for us also to make time to rest.

I read this devotion for the first time last Wednesday, right after I wrote the introductory post. My plan was to meditate on the post during the day on Thursday, and then write my thoughts on Thursday night.

My schedule for Thursday included getting to school around 7:45am, teaching till 3:30, after school duties from 4-7pm, choir rehearsal from 7-8, and then to a concert at 8-10.

I have been having a rough January. I felt like my spark was missing, I didn't have any desire to come to work, people annoyed me without doing anything, and I was generally in a funk.

I awoke last Thursday and felt rested. I felt like I was in a good mood for the first time in more than a month.

I made it through the day, through rehearsals, and went to the concert. I saw a relative I hadn't seen in years (who was performing), and the conductor of the concert spoke in his program notes about the effectiveness of music healing the weary soul. I know that God had a plan for me to be at that concert. The music was well done, the energy was wonderful.

I got in my car to go home, and my phone alerted me to the fact I had a message. My best friend's father had passed away unexpectedly.

Suddenly, the emotional high I had been on for the day was gone. All I wanted to do was go home, hug my husband, and cry. This man had been like a second father to me. He was caring, he was compassionate, I credit him for some of my nerdy interests (because he passed them on to his daughter, and she enlightened me)! (Also, my husband has been out of state visiting his family for the few days, so I haven't been able to get that hug I've needed. Today, he'll be home.) I know he is enjoying the Crown of Heaven, but those that he left behind will miss this influential man.

God is infinite in power. He has infinite strength. Cast all your cares upon him, for he cares for you. I've gone about my business the last few days in sort of a haze, recognizing that the time we get on this earth is finite. Yet, if we can reach others through Christ, we know that we will all see each other again in heaven.

I know that I need to make the choice to rest. It's okay if the house is messy, it's okay if there is some work left undone at the end of the day. I need to choose to take care of myself and rest, otherwise I will not be able to serve the best I am able.

Please, take a moment to tell your family you love them. You never know when God will choose to bring you home.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment